COLLEGE ATHLETICS DISCUSSED

Dean Briggs Presided at N. C. A. A. Meeting in New York on Dec. 28.

Faculty control of athletics and the many evils that beset the college student were the chief topics of discussion at the tenth annual convention of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, held at the Hotel Astor, New York, on December 28. More than 100 delegates representing universities and schools took part. In the opening address, Dean Briggs, president of the association, pointed out the evils of intercollegiate athletics and the possibilities of remedying many of them. He explained to the delegates the objects of the association which are not to abolish college athletics but to make them better. He made a strong plea for courtesy and common sense and said that if the colleges keep, at the head of their athletics, men who try to be honest and who trust each other, half of the evils of intercollegiate athletics will die a natural death.

Professor W. H. Taft, of Yale, in his address to the delegates, deprecated the system of proselyting, which is carried on in preparatory schools by the alumni of various colleges. Dean H. McClenahan, of Princeton, spoke on athletic standards and approved of the faculty's controlling all athletics. Professor R. N. Corwin, of Yale, discussed college ideals and athletics and expressed the belief that athletics should be more closely associated with intra-curriculum aims.

The secretary's report shows a membership of 158, composed of 84 active, 62 joint, and 7 assistant memberships. The receipts for the year exceeded the expenses by $810.30.

The following officers were elected: President, Dean Briggs; vice-president, J. R. Angell, Chicago University; secretary-treasurer, F. W. Nicolson, Wesleyan.