ATHLETIC UNION STRICTLY LIMITS JUNIOR ELIGIBILITY

Only Athletes Who Have Not Won First Place in Any Track Event May Now Compete.

A stricter interpretation has been placed by the Amateur Athletic Union on the rule governing the eligibility of an athlete for its junior championships, and in future the junior title events will be open "to all registered amateur athletes who have not won a first place at any track and field or cross-country championship meeting of the Amateur Athletic Union, of the International Olympic Committee, or of any intercollegiate association, or of Canada, Australia, or any foreign country. The winner of any event in the junior championship shall be ineligible for further competition in the junior class."

This new construction was placed on the regulation by a special committee appointed by Chairman Frederick W. Rubien of the National Championship Committee, to advise the National Board in its management of the indoor junior title meeting, which will be held in the Thirteenth Regiment Armory, Brooklyn, on Jan. 29. Fundamentally, it is the same as the old rule, but changes in the construction make it more comprehensive in the opinion of the Special Committee.

Efforts to have the hop step and jump eliminated from the program were futile. Chairman Rubien has promised to take up with the National Championship Committee the advisability of reducing the entrance fee for junior events from $2 to $1 at the request of some of the smaller clubs.