G. O. P.--S. O. S.

Why is the Forum,--at least as indicated by the attendance at its first meeting,--languishing this year? At the outbreak of the war a greatly increased interest among students in national and would questions was at once apparent. The causes of the war, the success of the national administration, the summer military camps,--all these subjects were of sufficient interest to make possible some unusually successful Forums. Often as many as a hundred and fifty men were present; yet only about sixty attended the first Forum this year.

The Forum has been criticised for the character of the question chosen. Most of the problems brought to the front by the war have been discussed, and there is some difficulty in finding new ones of large appeal. The subject chosen for tonight, however, fills the needed specifications. The Republican party seems at present the only important one whose presidential nominee is a matter of doubt. Upon its choice may depend the re-election or defeat of the President. A man is needed who is not only of sufficient calibre, but who is available, who possesses the proper affiliations and reputation to reconcile Republicans and Progressives and to carry some of the large "doubtful" states. Republicans and Progressives are interested in their political prestige for the next four years. And D mocra 's may have their fling tonight at all the "favorite sons."