NEW REGIME IN NEW HAVEN

Authority In Yale Athletics Now Vested in Board of Control Composed of Graduates.

As the result of a thorough investigation of the Yale athletic organization by a committee appointed last fall to conduct Yale athletics for the year 1915-16 and report on an improved system of athletic management, the present athletic association is to be abolished and a new one created which will delegate the authority to a central board of control. The feature of the new system, just adopted by the Yale Corporation, is that it takes the exclusive control of athletic affairs out of undergraduate boards and places it in the hands of a responsible body, of large enough graduate and faculty membership to make it permanent.

In summing up the new system the Yale News says:

"Each of the captains of the four leading intercollegiate sports--rowing, football, baseball and track--and the representatives of the general sports, is to name annually a committee of five graduates to have charge of those sports during the year. The nominations for these committees must be acceptable to the Board of Control of the Association. The chairmen of these five committees, together with two faculty members from the college and sheff., annually chosen by those faculties and eight graduates or undergraduates at large, to be annually chosen by the corporation, are to form a Board of Control which shall have charge of all Yale athletics. This Board of Control, with the captains and managers of the four major sports, and two representatives of general sports, are to form the new Association. By this method, the captains not only belong to the general Association, but are represented by their choice of graduates in the Board of Control; the faculty is represented by its own choice of faculty members; the corporation chooses eight members. In addition, the corporation accepts the ultimate responsibility for the proper working of the new plan, by reserving the right to veto any nomination to the Board of Control. Thus each interest in the University is represented, and final authority is in the hands of the corporation. The Board of Control is to have an executive committee of five members, one of whom must be the chairman and two of whom must be members of the faculties, who will form the permanent resident authoritative body. Thus the actual placing of the responsibility is to lie with the faculties.

Choice to be Competitive.

"The undergraduate managers of the various teams are henceforth to be chosen by the Board of Control 'upon the basis of such competitive test as shall from time to time be approved.'

"While this may seem at first sight a complicated machinery, it is simple enough and should be eminently workable. It leaves the undergraduate captains with all of the authority over the teams and men that they have always had; their traditional interest in choosing the older men with whom to work out a system's problems are retained, except that their choices must be acceptable to the permanent body. Each athletic committee has full jurisdiction over all phases of its particular sport, internal and intercollegiate except that its acts must be authorized by the Board of Control. The whole loose present system is pulled together by this reorganization, responsibility and authority are exactly specified, that responsibility is placed in adequate and permanent hands and faculty interest enlisted in guiding the conduct of the students' sports.

"Hitherto, Yale athletics have been conducted and managed by the undergraduates, with such graduate assistance as from time to time was available or seemed desirable to the respective undergraduates in charge. The advice of the older men has been accepted or rejected as seemed best to the particular undergraduates involved. At times serious mistakes and misunderstandings have resulted, occasioning injury to Yale's name in the conduct of its athletic relations with other institutions. It has become increasingly evident that with the ever-changing nature of such control, as men pass from the college world to be succeeded by others of less experience, no permanent policy or fixed direction in athletic matters can be assured."