YALE SHOWED TREMENDOUS INHERENT STRENGTH BUT LACK OF SPEED IN 61 TO 3 VICTORY OVER VIRGINIA

New York Sporting Critic Praises Powerful Line Charge and Skllful Interference of Ell Eleven.--Princeton Coaches Hasten Development of Team In Preparation for Tufts Game Saturday.

In the University of Virginia, Yale met a team on last Saturday that was green, light and mediocre. Virginia had an execrable defensive team, while such offense as it showed lacked variety and thrust. "Yale will do well to accept the outcome of the contest with proper humility and reserve her inward gratulations for indulgence at some future date," said Lawrence Perry, sporting editor of the New York Evening Post. In further comment on the game this same critic points out:

"The snapping back was very poor; on the direct passes the runners would pick the ball out of the air on one side or the other, and twice the Yale punter had to reach and take the ball with one hand. Inaccurate passing of the sort against a sharp defence may get the Elis into trouble. The tendency of most of the Yale backs was to run high and they did not use the straight arm at all. Braden was one exception. He ran low with terrific power both in carrying the ball and in interference. The power of the Yale line and backfield, to sum up, is extraordinary; the present problem is to speed up the machine. If this can be done there is no telling to what heights of greatness and achievement this eleven may attain.

Team Potentially Strong.

"Now that this warning, or whatever the reader may wish to term it, has been delivered, we may go on, not without enthusiasm, to say that the Yale team fills the mind with suggestions of immense potential power and knowledge of the game. Its feet, for the first time in several seasons, rest upon the bed-rock of fundamental excellence. No Yale team at any time of any season since 1913 has shown better grasp of the art of bringing a runner to earth. There was a powerful line-charge, which carried the forwards into the path of the ball; the ends smashed in and worked well with the men in the tackle positions. The ball was closely followed, blocking was cleanly done, and, above all, the interference, both in the line and on open plays was beautifully conceived and superbly executed. The interference of Yale may be regarded as the most significant and impressive feature of the day."

Cornell Eleven Lacks Practice.

In the opening game with Gettysburg last Monday, the Cornell eleven showed themselves able to gain over their lighter opponents, but the backs did not get away very fast. The ends also were slow in getting down under the punts. They handled the ball cleanly, however, in spite of a wet field, and followed it closely. Several forward passes were executed for long gains. Cornell's penalties were so heavy that they lost several touchdowns as a result. As a whole, however, the team's play was satisfactory and gives promise of becoming a strong aggregation later in the season.

Princeton and Tufts Grinding Axes.

The plans of Coach Rush to have the Princeton football team meet smaller teams at the beginning of the season, so that it might be at its best against the University and Yale have been some-what upset by Tufts, which is scheduled to play Princeton next Saturday. This week promises to be a stiff one for the Princeton team, for it will be necessary to work up a strange offense and improve their defence within the next four days. The work against North Carolina was not without flaws and Rush will strive to perfect his teamwork as much as possible within this week.

The dropping of Rutgers and Syracuse from this year's schedule was partly caused by the fact that the Princeton coach believed that such heavy teams were too much for so early in the season, but now he will be forced to return to some of last year's tactics.

All of the Tufts players are back in the game again, and should be in better form than ever for the coming game. X-ray plates showed that Captain Wescott's ribs were not fractured as a result of last Saturday's game, and he came out for practice as usual on Monday. In preparation for the game with Princeton Coach Whelan will give the backs a great amount of practice running back punts. The uncertainty with which the backs ran in kicks against the University was one of the greatest weaknesses they showed. This sort of play against Princeton would be fatal, as the Princeton team will without a doubt build its attack around the kicking of Driggs.

"Naughty Nero" at Dartmouth.

The Dartmouth Dramatic Association will present "Naughty Nero," a musical comedy, for the first time next Saturday night. The plot of the play deals with the age when Nero was at the height of his power. The old emperor, through his numerous extra vangances, has gone deeply into debt, and is unable to meet his obligations. Cinema Filmus, a moving picture man from Athens, relieves the embarrassing situation when he requests permission to purchase the moving picture rights for the burning of Rome. Nero, impressed by the magnitude of the offer, readily agrees to the purpose and the destruction of Rome by flames follows.

"Cap and Bells," the Williams Dramatic Association, will produce during its fall and winter season, "Green Stockings," a comedy by A. E. W. Mason. A tentative schedule for the Christmas recess, which includes Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago or Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo and New York, is being arranged. Albert Lang will coach the new production.

Tech. Engineers to Reorganize.

The Engineer Corps of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which was first established last year, will be reorganized at a meeting Friday afternoon. Major Cole and Captain Downing, of the United States Corps of Engineers, will be on hand to explain this year's plans. Last year the corps was somewhat hampered by lack of sufficient equipment, which now will be furnished by the government, enabling the corps to perform the same service as that demanded of the army engineers.

Columbia University has inaugurated a new and significant set of eligibility rules for athletic and non-athletic activities. The new code embraces all undergraduate non-curricular activities. Under the rules an undergraduate contemplating participation in any campus activity must be free of all entrance conditions, or, if, conditioned, must be enrolled for a course which, if satisfactorily completed, will free him of all conditions within one year of entrance. This new regulation applies with equal force to athletes, debaters, musical club members, or editors of publications.