HARVARD'S SENTIMENT IN ELECTION DECIDED TODAY

UNSIGNED BALLOTS VOID

The CRIMSON will hold a Presidential straw ballot from 8.30 o'clock this morning until 6 o'clock this evening, which will determine the sentiment of the University in regard to the coming election. Any member of the University, graduate or undergraduate, is eligible to vote.

Ballots will be furnished at the polls on which the following names will appear: Republican, Charles Evans Hughes, former associate justice of the United States Supreme Court; Democrat, Woodrow Wilson; Socialist, Allan L. Benson, author of many works on Socialism; Prohibition, J. Frank Hanley, former governor of Indiana. The polls will be open in the CRIMSON Building from 8.30 to 6 o'clock, and in Memorial Hall from 12 until 2. Any ballots not signed with the voter's name will be thrown out.

In the straw ballot taken before the Presidential election in 1912, out of 1,608 votes cast, Wilson obtained 735. Roosevelt 475, Taft 365, Debs 25 and Chafin 8. No candidate secured a majority vote. The straw ballot last spring, however, showed a plurality of the votes for Roosevelt, but again, no candidate obtained a majority. 1,788 votes were cast in all, 660 for Roosevelt, 591 for Wilson and 348 for Hughes.

Strenuous efforts are being made by the Republican Club and the Woodrow Wilson Club to secure votes, so that last spring's total of votes is likely to be broken. The president of the Democratic Club expressed the view last night to a CRIMSON reporter that the combined Hughes-Roosevelt majority of last spring would be materially lessened and that he hoped for a Wilson victory. The officers of the Republican Club, however, predicted a large majority for Hughes.