New Comrades for Soldiers Field.

COMMENT

Very fitting in this hour when the name of Norman Prince and the thought of his heroic death are alive in the minds of Americans, especially of Harvard men, the suggestion has come from a member of the Class of 1893 that a memorial be erected in his honor. It will also be remembered, however, that his service and his sacrifice have been part of a valor shared by other sons of Harvard. Doubtless to Norman Prince himself it was cause for satisfaction and a source of inspiration that many others from his own University stood with him, shoulder to shoulder, on the battlefields of France. As the list has been compiled to date it shows that upwards of four hundred Harvard men have been engaged in various branches of service in the war. Nineteen among them have already lost their lives. Their names as compiled by M. A. de Wolfe Howe '87 for his forthcoming volume on "The Harvard Volunteers in Europe," are these:

Henry Gustav Byng '13, Andre Cheronnet Champollion '02, Victor Emmanuel Chapman '13, Henry Augustus Colt '10, Charles Robert Cross, Jr., '03, Fritz Daur STB, '14, Calvin Wellington Day GS, '12-'14, Henry Weston Farnsworth '12, Morrill Stanton Gaunt, And., '14-'16; Harold Marion-Crawford '11, Clyde Fairbanks Maxwell '14, Robert Edouard Pellissien '04, Norman Prince '08, Alyn Seeger '10, Dillwyn Parrish Starr '08, Edward Mandell 'Stone '08, Dr. Crosby Church Whitman '86, George Williamson '05, Allen M. Cleghorn, (one-time instructor).

Various branches of the service had of course been elected by these heroes and their many surviving fellows--the British and French armies themselves, the Foreign Legion of France, the medical corps of the armies, the American Ambulance Service, and the various Harvard surgical units. Fritz Daur served in the German army and two other Harvard men have been with him there--one in the military service and the other in the medical corps. It has not been given to all that the hour of their last sacrifice should fall in circumstances of such signal bravery and of such special interest as did those of Norman Prince and Victor Chapman, yet all went out to serve under the impulsion of the same fine motives. That, after all, is the fact of first importance. And it entitles all who served to a share in the commemoration which should be given them by Harvard.

Memorial Hall stands today at Harvard in tribute to all those connected with the University who served in the American Civil War. Tablets and memorial windows especially perpetuate the names of those who lost their lives in service. A similar scheme, it seems proper, should be worked out for the commemoration of those who felt the call equally strong to go forth to battle for and to assist in the cause which had their devotion in the present war. The place suggested for the new memorial is Soldiers Field, and there it seems indeed fitting that the statue or other memorial should stand, dedicated to the memory of all who served and particularly perpetuating the glory of those who died. Yet Soldiers Field is, the gift of one alumnus, Major Higginson, in tribute to soldiers whom he had especially in mind to honor, and his wishes and opinions as to the erection there of the new memorial should certainly be consulted. Boston Transcript.