COURSE STILL LACKS TOTAL

ENROLMENT IN MILITARY SCIENCE AND TACTICS 1 NOT ENCOURAGING.

The second meeting of Military Science and Tactics 1 will be held in Emerson D this afternoon at 1.30 o'clock. Enrolments regularly close at this hour, and students may consult Captain Cordier at Weld 3 any time this morning in regard to the course. As yet, only 150 men are enrolled in the course.

The fact that enrolment in the new course, Military Science and Tactics 1, does not carry with it any obligation to serve in the army or to become a reserve officer was the main point of Captain Cordier's address in the New Lecture Hall last night.

"The advantages of the course," he said, "are obvious. In the first place, by taking it, a man is performing a patriotic duty, for the day may come, as we hope it shall not, when we are called on to defend our country. It is of the utmost importance that there be at least 50,000 trained officers in the country ready to lead their countrymen in time of war.

"The advantages of the course over last year's Regiment are numerous. In that body, each man had to buy his uniform and received no credit for his work either from the University of from the War Department. Military Science and Tactics 1 will count as one course toward a degree, and toward a commission as a reserve officer.

"This year the War Department will furnish the equipment supplied to the regular army, and will also supply traveling expenses to all those in the course who go to Plattsburg."