HARVARD CONSERVATION.

The University is often--and bitterly--attacked for being the leader of educational reaction in America. There is just enough distorted truth in this charge to demand a refutation. Out accusers must necessarily answer this question: Is there at Harvard a corporate academic conservatism? And no unbiased observer could fail to answer this question in the negative. The root of all these charge lies in a dangerous misconception; It is assumed that because many students are of the conservative class. This is obviously ridiculous. The Status of a certain group of students can neither be caused be nor cause the intellectual status of the University. Harvard maintains ideals of free speech, for example far ahead of most universities. Her funds for fellowships, scholarships and loans approach one hundred thousand dollar a year. Many of her professors are extremely redical, notably in history, economics, psychology and philosophy. Her graduates include the most progressive leader in every walk of life. And because a larger percentage of her students are by heredity opposed to radicalism than is the case in most colleges, It is unfair and untrue to assume that her academic policies and principles are governed a by "moss-backed" conservatism. Conservatism is necessary element in constructive radicalism.