SCIENTISTS TO OPEN CONFERENCE

Many Addresses Will be Made at Meeting of National Academy.

The first session of the National Academy of Science will be held in the new Massachusetts Institute of Technology this afternoon and evening. At the evening session in the General Library, President and Mrs. Lowell, and President and Mrs. Maclaurin of Technology, will hold a reception from 9.15 to 10.30 o'clock. The scientific sessions and the exhibit are open to the public.

Among other speakers in the afternoon will be three University graduates: Edward S. Morse '92 will talk on "Proticonch of Solemya"; Alfred G. Mayer of the Marine Laboratory of Carnegie Institution, on "Further Studies of Nerve Conduction" (illustrated) and W. A. Davis '69, on "Sublacustrince Glacial Erosion in Montana."

In the evening, President W. H. Welcott of Johns Hopkins University, will discuss the formation of the National Research Council at the request of the President of the United States and D. S. W. Stratton, director of the National Bureaus of Standards, Washington, D. C., will speak on target practice in the navy.