United States as Scholars' Clearing House

COMMENT

Lately there has been added to the publications of Harvard University a new series to be called the "Harvard Theological Studies," of which the first is printed as an extra number of the Harvard Theological Review, the whole series to be edited by George F. Moore, Kirsop Lake and James H. Ropes for the Faculty of Divinity. The point of interest concerning the series is that it revealed by its prospectus. As a result of the war, many European journals of research have been forced to suspend publication, and in further consequence the editors of the Harvard Theological Review, seeking material for their issues, have had much valuable matter spontaneously offered to them by scholars abroad who, in the ordinary course, would have published their works in similar journals of Holland, Germany or England. The fact tends to place America, as it were, in a new position as the world's clearing house for the fruits of scholarly research. What has occurred in the field of theology must be duplicated in other fields. The chance seems large for America not merely to act as temporary receiver for the products of European scholarship, but also to assume a new position in the research of science and letters which shall be permanent. --Boston Transcript.