VIRGINIA FAILED TO STOP COURSE OF UNIVERSITY'S SCORING MACHINE

FINAL SCORE 51 TO 0

The University football team had no trouble defeating the Virginia eleven 51 to 0 in a very one-sided game in the Stadium last Saturday afternoon. Virginia was powerless to stop the University backs, who made long gains practically at will. The Southerners were never dangerous and only once had the ball in the University's half of the field, this being after the successful completion of a series of forward passes, of which, the last however, was intercepted by Minot '17, who ran 65 yards for a touchdown.

The sole consolation for the Virginians was the wonderful punting of Thurman. He punted 12 times, averaging 53 yards per punt, and never got one off for less than 45 yards. Although he invariably punted his team out of danger, the Southerners tackled so loosely that the University's backs were always sure of running the ball back an average of ten to 15 yards. The Southerners, as was expected, used an open style of play with many forward passes and ends playing far out. They were only partially successful with their passing game, for out of 16 passes tried, only four were completed.

If the tackling of the Southern eleven was poor and uncertain, that of the University was always hard and sure. At the end of the first quarter, Kinsolving received a pretty forward pass from Thurman and ran 30 yards, but Minot was waiting for him and stopped him short. The line also played well and frequently broke through and tackled the Virginia backs before they were started. W. H. Wheeler '18 played a particularly strong game and was an important factor in stopping all plays through his side of the line. H. Coolidge '19, as substitute end, showed up well at his position, catching a forward pass from W. Willcox '17 within the ten-yard zone behind the goal line for a touchdown, and preventing many possible gains around his end.

Left Side of Line Strong.

Coleman and McKay at left guard and tackle, played a hard game for Virginia, and the University backs found it difficult to penetrate that side of the line. Kinsolving was the only back who could gain at all, and his advances were slight; in fact the total distance gained by the Southerners during the entire game amounted to only 54 yards. The ends were poor and were continually being put out of the play.

The first touchdown was scored in the first five minutes of play. Sparr kicked off to W. J. Murray, who ran the ball back to the 30-yard line. Virginia was then penalized for being off-side, and on the next play R. Harte '17 skirted left end for a 25-yard gain. Only eight more plays were necessary before R. H. Bond '19 went over the goal line, and later kicked the goal. For the remainder of the period the University contented itself with trying a few rushes and then punting, and the Southerners did the same. At the beginning of the next period, however, Minot ran back one of Thurman's punts from his own 40 to the visitors 30-yard line, from which point Bond kicked a goal after it had been found impossible to gain a first down by rushing. Virginia then received the ball on the kick-off but did not keep it long; for the University obtained it on its own 40-yard line, after Thurman had been forced to punt, and drove it over the goal line in ten plays. One of these was a long 25-yard run by Minot, who was finally downed by Coleman after he had dragged the latter ten yards along with him. This touchdown was scored by Bond who also kicked the goal. Bond scored 26 points out of the total score of 51.

Willcox Recovered His Fumble.

At the beginning of the second half an almost entirely new team was sent in against the Virginians. Willcox received the kick-off and made the only fumble of the game, but recovered the ball and carried it 20 yards before he was stopped. The fourth touchdown came after the period was half over, when Willcox ran a punt back 35 yards to Virginia's 28-yard line. S. Burnham '19 crossed the goal line on the sixth subsequent play and A. W. Gardner '18 kicked the goal. The next score came immediately after the kick-off when Burnham intercepted a pass and the ball was taken over the line by M. Horne '18 after four rushes from the 40-yard line.

In the final period the University accomplished its first forward passes, all of them leading to touchdowns. H. Coolidge scored the first touchdown of this quarter by catching a pass from Willcox behind the goal line and Bond scored the last one a few minutes later on a line plunge. He kicked both goals. Willcox nearly scored another just before the game ended when he ran back a punt to Virginia's ten-yard line but the whistle blew before any further progress could be made.

The summary follows:

HARVARD  VIRGINIAPhinney, Brewer, Gaston, Ryan, l.e.  r.e., Darwin, Hagar, GoodwinWheeler, Hartley, Lancaster, l.t.  r.t., Ward, BlakeyClark, Duncan, Dean, l.g.  r.g., Thurman, Calvert, StewartHarris, Wiggin, Flynn, Thorndike, c.  c., Churchman MonyagueSnow, Day, r.g.  l.g., ColemanSweetser, Lovell, r.t.  l.t., McKay, Thurman, StewartHarte, Batchelder, H. Coolidge, Likins, r.e.  l.e., J. WhiteMurray, Gardner, Felton, q.  q., Carrington, C. WhiteMinot, Willcox, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Russell, GoochHitchcock, Burnham, r.h.b.  l.h.b., KinsolvingBond, Horne, Thacher, f.b.  f.b., Spar