SIX DORMITORIES FOR TECH

New Building to be Governed by Elected Student Board and Supervised by Faculty Committee.

The new dormitories of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology were put in service yesterday morning. These dormitories are the first to be established at the school and are the beginning of the regular dormitory system which is planned by Technology officials.

Altougher there are six dormitories, each independent of the other save for emergency fire doors, which are combined into a large L-shaped brick structure, four stories in height, situated east of the educational buildings on the River-way. In the space between the dormitories and the River-way will be placed President Maclaurin's house, for which the foundations have already been laid. The new dormitory building is in the Florentine style of architecture with the characteristic tower in the angle of the wings.

The plans for the government and sanitation of the new dormitories are original with Technology. The management of the dormitories will be vested in a student board, the members of which were elected by the dormitory occupants last evening. The actual administration of the dormitories in their hotel aspect will be in the hands of a faculty committee consisting of Dean Alfred E. Burton, chairman; Major E. T. Cole and Horace S. Ford, the bursar of the Institute. Technology not only furnishes the rooms with heat, light, hot and cold water, and with showers in the adjacent lavatories, but it also equips them with the necessary furniture and looks after the laundry work of the room. The housekeeping service at the dormitories will be entirely in the hands of the Institute, but questions of deportment will be taken care of by the students through the student board.

The construction of the new dormitories was made possible by graduate contributions. President Maclaurin announced three gifts for this particular purpose at the Tech. Pop Concert last June. Two of these were sums of $100,000 and $150,000 from anonymous contributors; the other a gift of $100,000, which has just been telegraphed from T. Coleman du Pont, of the class of 1884.