CAPTAIN IAN HAY BEITH

Fresh from the English trenches in France, Captain Ian Hay Beith has come to America to resume in person his lively and picturesque narrative of the "First Hundred Thousand--still first", as he touchingly puts it at the close of his book, but, alas, no longer The Hundred Thousand. At the beginning of the war he enlisted in a well-known Highland regiment, in spite of the fact that his thirty-eight years put him almost over the age limit for military service. Then came six months of arduous training at Aldershot with the other members of the motley collection known as Kitchener's mob, or "K(1)". In April, 1914, he was sent to France, where his distinguished conduct soon raised him to the rank of captain. His regiment suffered heavily in the famous "Battle of the Slag Heaps" in the Loos offensive of a year ago. For some mysterious reason, as he characteristically puts it, he was recommended for the Military Cross, and after being subsequently transferred to a machine gun company, he was given a furlough to enable him to come to America. Captain Beith sees the humorous as well as the serious side of the situations created by the war, and if the graphic pen pictures in his book may be taken as a criterion, he is the best qualified of any of the lecturers whom England has so far sent to this country to explain her part in the war. Members of the University will have an excellent opportunity to hear him when he speaks in Sanders Theatre this afternoon at four o'clock.