Discharged.

COMMENT

The Yale Battalion has passed away. Peace to its ashes! May a loud and long volley of musketry ring out over its grave and may full military honors be accorded the corpse. No one who served with the Batteries last summer is sorry to see the last of them.

There can be little doubt of the fact that the original mistake was made in organizing the Batteries as a part of the Connecticut National Guard; there can be little doubt of the futility of the whole mobilization of the militia, and of the total inadequacy of the militia system and of--lots of other things! There can likewise be no doubt of the fact that the members of the Batteries under command of Colonel Danford in New Haven and in Tobyhanna last summer did their work so creditably that the history of the organization and of the way Yale responded to the President's call, will long be remembered as a glowing chapter of Yale history.

Now, however, is the time to look forward rather than back and to consider what is to be done to continue the work Yale has already so mightily begun for the cause of military preparedness. We are glad to see the Tenth Field Artillery disbanded; we should like to see the whole militia system meet a similar fate but we should regard it as little short of a catastrophe if the spirit already manifested and the work already actually accomplished in the cause of preparedness at Yale were to go for nothing more than a mere ephemeral outburst of one summer's duration. The best way military training can be continued on a permanent footing at Yale is of course by the organization of a Yale unit of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps, which the faculty will, we hope, in co-operation with the War Department, speedily see fit to establish. --Yale News.