CO-OPERATION INCREASING

Dr. Laidler Predicted Government Ownership of Public Industries.

Dr. H. W. Laidler, of New York, organizing secretary of the Intercollegiate Socialist Society, and author of "Boycotts and the Labor Struggle," gave a lecture before the Socialist Club on "The Challenge of Socialism to the College Man" in Emerson J yesterday afternoon. He first described the growth of the voluntary co-operation movement abroad. In England the workers have built up a business of over $650,000,000 a year; they own 40 or 50 factories; run 1,400 stores; control tea estates in Ceylon and thousands of acres in England, and conduct the most extensive industrial insurance company in the country.

He concluded his talk by telling of the growth of the state-wide and nationwide co-operation. Fifty out of 70 governments in the world own their own railroads; and telegraphs, telephones, insurance and lighting systems are rapidly passing into government hands. The Socialist believes in extending such ownership until all principal industries are publicly owned and democratically managed by the municipality, the state and the nation.