OUTING PLACED 109 MEN ON FOOTBALL ROLL OF HONOR

Selections Have Been Made by Experts, Consisting of 46 Coaches of Big Teams.

In the January issue of Outing, which appeared yesterday, is published the annual football roll of honor consisting of all football players throughout the country who have been recommended by two or more coaches. This list, which contains 109 names, may be considered a more accurate selection of the leading players than are the "All-American" elevens made up by experts because the selections are made by 46 football coaches who have seen the men play.

Only two University players are included on the list, these being R. Harte '17, whose name also appeared in last year's list, and E. L. Casey '19. The largest representation is that of Minnesota with eight men, and Yale leads the larger Eastern colleges with five, Legore, Moseley, Comenford, Gates and Black.

Harvard Lacked Power.

In discussing the recent season, Outing says of the University's showing in the Yale game:

"Harvard failed in the Yale game this year, not because of lack of football knowledge--they probably knew far more football than the victors--but because of lack of power to put the plays through. Furthermore, the kicking threat with Casey back was no threat at all. The Yale line knew that a man who can't kick won't kick, and they were right.

"The real test of the Harvard-Yale game lay in the centre of the line, and the Crimson trio were outweighed and outeharged, and there is the story. Mr. Jones has builded well at New Haven, but he is likely to meet a harder test in his final games next year than fell to his lot this."

Individual Players Discussed.

Taking up the individual players, the editor says:

"Yale, Harvard and Princeton offered nothing striking in the pivot position, although LaRoche of Yale is entitled to great credit for going successfully through the two big games as a last minute selection. Robinson of Harvard was a cool hand who made no mistakes, but seemed weak in interference. He added to his ball handling ability considerable skill in drop-kicking.

"Casey of Harvard was touted as a star and unquestionably has possibilities, but he is not yet an Eddie Mahan and has a long way to go.

"In Coolidge and Harte, of the Harvard team, the Yale ends had worthy opponents of more experience. The latter pair, however, were handicapped by the failure of the centre of the line to hold their hard charging opponents.

"The only new play brought out in a startling way was the multiple kick originated by Coach Sanford, of Rutgers.

"In this play two backs lie on the ground about four yards behind the line with their hands held up to make a holder for the ball. The quarterback places the ball on these fingers and the kicker kicks it as the golfer drives from a tee."