1919 GIVES SCHOLARSHIP

AWARD MADE MONDAY

The Class of 1919, following the example set by the Class of 1918 a year ago, has decided to make a gift to the University in the form of a scholarship. Last year's gift was the sun dial between Smith and Standish Halls.

The executive board of 1919, after a complete discussion of the matter last spring, determined to continue the precedent set by the present Junior Class of making a gift to the University. It was decided that there were too few material gifts which would be suitable to continue this custom for many years, so that when a scholarship was suggested the executive board decided upon this plan as the wisest. It felt that it would thus establish a precedent in the power of succeeding classes to continue, and which would at the same time do some definite good.

The terms of this scholarship are different from those of any other. It is awarded by the officers of the class to the Freshman who has had the best record in his preparatory school, but who would be unlikely to come to the University without pecuniary aid. This record includes studies, school activities, both religious and social, and athletics, though prominence in the latter branch is not a necessary requisite. These terms are intended to give the impression in preparatory schools that there is here an opportunity for such men to come to the University with scholarship assistance.

Preparations Made Late.

As soon as the gift was decided upon letters were written to the headmasters of the various preparatory schools in which they were asked to suggest candidates for the scholarship. The plans were made so late in the spring, however, that this was done imperfectly. Another reason for awarding the scholarship at so late a date this fall is on ac- count of the necessary delay that occured before it was passed on by the Administrative Board on Scholarships.

This gift, which is to be known as the Class Memorial Scholarship, is by a large margin the largest scholarship given any Freshman. The dividing of the sum into two scholarships has been advocated, but this, it was thought, would defeat the purpose of the gift, which is meant to be desirable not only for the sake of the money but for the honor that goes with it.

The success or failure of the precedent set by the Class of 1919 rests on whether it is adopted and carried out by the Class of 1920 and subsequent entering classes. The scholarship idea is one which will be possible for the classes to continue because the class collection always exceeds the expenses.

Award to Be Made Monday.

The scholarship will be awarded by last year's officers of 1919 at a meeting of the Freshman Class in Smith Common Room next Monday, December 4, at 7.30 o'clock. Dean Yeomans will speak and the executive board of the Class of 1919 will be present