AN ENDURING MONUMENT

The spirit of the Class of 1919 in establishing a scholarship is worthy of the highest praise. However much in after life a class may be able to help the University which did so much for it, no gift can have the peculiar significance of one presented by undergraduates. College students as a rule are not burdened with too much money and their generosity forms a very vital sacrifice. The Class of 1918 was thoughtful in its gift of a sun dial. But more valuable than sun dials, or any other concrete work of art, is an aid which will bring men of character and action to the University. This gift forms a strong and intimate connection between the class emerging from its Freshman year and the clase that is to succeed it. The value of the precedent lies in the possibility of its being followed by other classes. The reward of the donors will come at some more distant time when they will be able to feel that through their generosily a less fortunate fellow has enjoyed the privileges of a college education.