HOCKEY TEAM WON 7-2

RICE SCORED 3 GOALS

The University hockey team won its first victory of the season last night by defeating the Boston Hockey Club 7 to 2, at the Arena. The playing on both sides was ragged, but the Crimson seven worked together so much better than their opponents that the final result of the game was never in doubt. In spite of the erratic playing of the University team there is room for encouragement in the fact that such a large score was made and that individual effort played a very much smaller part in obtaining the goals than it has earlier this season.

R. E., Gross '19 started the game at right wing, and though inexperienced, did his part of the offensive work of the team. His chief fault seems to be a lack of aggressiveness and his light weight is against him, but the handles himself well on the ice and uses his stick to good advantage:

At the very start of the game, T. C. Thacher, Jr., '18 took the puck the entire length of the Arena and passed it to T. H. Rice '17, who slipped it into the goal, one minute and 20 seconds after the referee's whistle had blown. The forwards forced the playing for the next five minutes with fast skating and good passing, but before they could score P. H. Smart '14 got the puck away and tied the score in six minutes and 48 seconds, dashing through the University's defence and passing back and forth down the rink to L. M. Lombard '17. Rice soon put the University in the lead again when he pushed the puck past McKay from a scrimmage, after Thacher had again taken it down the rink. The third goal for the University resulted from the team play of G. A. Percy '18 and E. O. Baker '17, the former having a clear shot when the latter drew the goal tender out of position. The good defensive work of Captain Morgan and Thacher prevented many shots by the Boston Hockey Club, and J. I. Wylde '17's consistent playing at goal also contributed to keeping the opposing score down.

Quick Score Repeated.

When the second half began, Rice repeated his performance of scoring in less than two minutes, working this time in conjunction with Percy. A minute later Baker scored on a long shot from near the middle of the rink, and with the score standing 5 to 1, the substitutes on the squad were given a chance in the game. The remaining two goals were made by T. K. Fisher '17 and G. Town-send '17 in 12.05 and 17.30 respectively. During this time Clifford scored the second goal for the Boston Hockey Club.

The men already show the results of over two weeks of practice and though the subordination of individual playing may prevent some of them from demonstrating their full speed and ability, it tends to make a more mechanical and more efficient scoring machine. All four forwards stayed together in line last night and were therefore able to pass accurately and get by the opposing defence. Baker's and Townsend's goals were the only ones which did not come from a series of well-executed, down-the-rink passing.

Today's practice will be the last before the Christmas vacation, but the team will return to Cambridge on Monday, January 1, to resume work. Practice in the Arena that day will be at 5 o'clock.

The Summary:

HARVARD  BOSTON HOCKEY CLUBRice, l.w.  r.w., SmartBaker, l.c.  r.c., CliffordPercy, r.c.  l.c., PrendergastGross, r.w.  l.w., LombardThacher, c.p.  c.p., DotyMorgan, p.  p., ClaflinWylde, g.  g., McKa