SENIOR DEBATERS DEFEATED

Sophomores Succeeded in Upholding Negative on Establishing Mexican Protectorate.

The Sophomores won from the Seniors in the first debate of the interclass series last night, successfully maintaining the negative of the question, "Resolved, That the United States should establish a temporary protectorate in Mexico until order and stable government are assured." The judges, A. A. Berle '13, G. Workman 1L and M. Bernkopf 1L unanimously conferred the decision upon the Sophomores whose side of the question was ably upheld by their speakers in the following order: S. A. Freeman, W. Hettleman and L. Dennis.

E. L. Davidson opened the debate for the affirmative, and he was followed by J. C. McMullin and S. E. Rothchild. The rebuttals were made in the same order. The negatives' argument was based upon the contention that the present conditions do not warrant intervention and that the United States is neither duty bound or militarily able to intervene and achieve the desired result.

The Juniors will uphold the affirmative side of the same question in opposition to the Freshmen in the second debate of the series in Sever 11 this evening at 8 o'clock. The winning teams in both debates will clash on the same question on December 18.