The End of a Dream.

COMMENT

Cecil Rhodes, empire builder, dreamed a dream of universal brotherhood. It was, of course, merely a dream; for during his lifetime Rhodes was too busy advancing the imperial interests of Great Britain to do any practical work toward unifying the human race. He worked mightily in behalf of his own nation, and then, in his will, provided a plan for eliminating national lines and for bringing all nations together. The contrast between the deeds of Rhodes, and the desires expressed in his will is striking. It is the contrast between working and dreaming.

The Rhodes plan for bringing the nations together was embodied in the establishment of the Rhodes scholarships at Oxford. A large sum of money was set aside to pay for the education of non-British students at the favored university of the testator. The students were to be chosen with care from among the most promising youth of foreign countries. Americans, Germans and many others took advantage of the opportunities thus offered and the Rhodes scholars became an interesting feature of Oxford life.

But the dream is now at an end. The British government will permit no more German students to come to Oxford and it is not unlikely that the Rhodes scholarships will be abolished altogether. By cutting off the German aspirants Great Britain is dealing the heaviest possible blow against the Rhodes plan. Surely Great Britain has the greatest need of an understanding with Germany, and any movement toward universal international amity which excludes Germany must be futile.

The Rhodes scholarships have accomplished little or nothing toward establishing human brotherhood. The foreign students have taken advantage of the opportunities, but they have not gone forth to preach any ringing gospel of peace and good will. They have returned to their respective fatherlands uninspired to lead the world. Their love of England has not been increased merely because they have benefited by the posthumous philanthropy of one of the most intensely English of all Englishmen. It is conceivable and probable that the knowledge gained at Oxford by some of the German Rhodes scholars is now being used against England.

As a plan for increasing the world's educational opportunities the Rhodes scholarships were admirable; but as a means to establish universal peace they have proved quite useless. --Cleveland Plain Dealer.