VEREIN PLAY TONIGHT

PERFORMANCE AT 8

The Deutscher Verein, the oldest modern language club in the University, presents as its nineteenth annual play, "Der Hypochonder" ("The Hypochonderiac") in Jordan Hall, this evening at 8 o'clock. "Der Hypochonder" is an exceedingly humorous farcical comedy by Gustav von Moser, the author of "Der Blibliothekar," better known on the American stage as "The Private Secretary," which has already been produced by the Deutscher Verein.

The cast for the play follows: Birkenstock, retired,  G. Priest 1G Emma, his wife  Miss Elsie Wulkop Asta, their daughter,  Miss Enrica Barth Sauerbrei, henpecked husband,  Mr. C. L. Scaracer Rosalie, his wife, Mrs. Ward P. Shattuck. Klara, their daughter,  Miss Elsa Warnke Arnold Reimann, architect,  F. S. Cawley '10 Hugo Berger, life-insurance agent,  C. G. Cook 3G Pieper, alderman,  J. L. Mosle '20 Ballinger, alderman,  R. P. Berie '20 Karner, alderman,  J. R. Lauer '20 Lehmann, alderman,  M. Cowley '19 Blechschmidt, alderman,  C. A. Rome '17 Moll, physician,  W. Silz '17 Hampel, messenger,  W. J. Margreve '19 Frau Balder,  Miss Gabriele Veit Pauline, maid at Birkenstock's,  Miss Lina Berle Karoline, maid at Sauerbrei's,  Miss Anna Margreve

The leading character, the nypocnondriac, is a well-to-do and at bottom good-natured man who imagines himself sick, and makes life miserable for all concerned. Many of the trials and tribulations which visit him in the course of the play are the result of a deliberate attempt on the part of his friends and family to cure him of his fancied malady.

Other Characters Drawn Humorously.

The other characters are for the most part ludicrous in themselves, and the situations into which they are put are calculated to bring out their idiosyncrasies in the funniest manner. There is an alderman who "bosses" town and council and is in turn "bossed" by a Xantippian wife. There is a dapper young insurance agent who undertakes to get his friend out of trouble, and instead draws him into a mesh of complications. There is a group of aldermen typifying various stages of conservatism, churlishness and inebriation.

The hypochondriac confuses the insurance agent and his friend, and promises him his daughter under the impression that he is making an insurance contract, "payments quarterly"

Judged merely as a work of dramatic and comic art, the "Hypochonder" ranks with the few best plays that the Verein has produced. The feminine roles will be taken by the ladies of the Bostoner Deutsche Gesellschaft, and an orchestra composoed of sixteen members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra will furnish music.

Tickets at 50 and 75 cents, $1.00 and $1.50, are on sale at Herrick's in Boston, or may be purchased in Cambridge at the Co-operative Branch store or from E. R. Milton, Claverly 7

Other Characters Drawn Humorously.