NEW EXCHANGE COURSES ON EVOLUTION.

The system of exchange professorships with Europe has been seriously impaired by the withdrawal of Germany owing to the war. But Paris still exchanges; and Belgium has been added to the list. The professors who have come to the University from abroad have represented varied departments of learning and have always brought fresh points of view. Literature has been perhaps the most usual subject; government and mathematics have, among others, been treated by exchange professors. None, however, can be more germane to present problems of economics, philosophy, and history, as well as science, than the lectures on evolution to be given by Prosor Caullery of the Sorbonne during the second half-year. Such phrases as "the survival of the fittest" and "the struggle for existence" have been thrown to the front anew by the embroilment of mankind in Europe. Men would do well to bear in mind Professor Caullery's two half-courses before making their selection. They are primarily biological; yet they should throw some light on the eternal social questions, "Is evolution progress?" and "How can it be so guided as to mean improvement?"