GUNS PROBABLE FOR REGIMENT

COMMITTEE OF LEGISLATURE FAVORED BILL ALLOWING FIREARMS.

The Committee on Military Affairs of the Massachusetts, Legislature yesterday reported favorably on the bill granting to the regiment of the University and of other colleges in the Commonwealth the privilege of drilling and parading with firearms. President Lowell, Captain Cordier, Mr. J. W. Farley '99 and other Harvard graduates spoke in favor of the bill before the Committee.

At present the law prevents school and college regiments from drilling with real guns unless such military drill counts toward a degree or diploma. President Lowell was opposed to permitting the drill to count toward a degree on the ground that patriotism was not an intellectual pursuit.

"There should be," said President Lowell, "the possibility of training students to fit themselves for military service under competent supervision of the state military authorities. The present prohibition against drilling and parading with firearms should be modified accordingly.

"Greatly as--I am in favor of this measure I cannot believe that it would be advantageous to give credits toward a degree. One cannot consider military training an intellectual pursuit, and a degree at Harvard is given for intellectual attainments. Intellectual training and patriotism are both valuable, but they are not equivalent."

The War Department is ready to give the University Regiment guns as soon as it is allowed to have them. Under the provisions of the bill the Government would have no claim on the students.

J. W. Earley '99 presented the bill and introduced the speakers. He declared that further modification of the law by the present bill was a necessity.

Captain Cordier, who is instructing the University Regiment, said he feared a gradual slackening of interest if guns were not provided. Adjutant General Cole also appeared in favor of the bill, pointing out that it gave complete control of the organization to the state authorities