1500 CHINESE IN OUR COLLEGES

Many Sent by Government with Money Returned by United States.

That America is now training the future leaders of China in political, social, economic, and educational projects is the statement of Tien Lan Lin, president of the Chinese Students' Club of Princeton, and Treasurer of the Students' Christian Association. In an article published in the Princetonian, he says, in part:

"When the two civilizations of the East and West came into clash, the open-door policy was forced upon China. She suffered humiliations and defeats at the hands of the western invaders, and finally realized that she must strive to adapt herself to new conditions. A series of reforms were already in effect before the Manchu dynasty was overthrown. Of these, the educational policy underwent the most radical change. Western scientific courses were introduced, and the examinations on old classics were abolished. Today schools for new learning stand on the ground of the spacious examination halls.

"The question at once arose, where could China get enough teachers to occupy the chairs in the various departments? To use foreigners was only a temporary expedient. If the new educational system should be carried throughout China, the teachers must be Chinese. Hence, sending competent students to study in Japan, America, and Europe was started almost simultaneously with educational reforms.

"Immediately after the Boxers' Uprising, it seemed as if China was going to take over Japanese education on a wholesale scale. There were forty to fifty thousand Chinese students flooding all Japanese institutions. But in the meantime English was required in all Chinese schools, and students looked toward America for a first-hand practical education. The number of Chinese students in Japan began to decrease until now there are only four thousand.

"At present there are about 1500 Chinese students in America, enrolled in various universities, colleges, and secondary schools. One-fourth of them are girl students, whose ability is shown by the fact that two years ago a girl took the first prize at an oratorical contest at the Chinese Students' Conference of the Eastern Section.

"Most of the students sent by the Central Government are graduates of Tsing Hua College in Peking. In 1908, the United States of America proposed to return to China $10,785,286,10 out of the $24,440,778.81 Boxers Indemnity. The Chinese Government wisely decided to use this sum of money in sending students to America to receive a higher education. A preparatory school, the Tsing Hua College, was established, in Peking from which already 300 students have been sent to this country. There are yet 50 to come to this country each year from this college for 26 years.

"Two organizations have existed for some time among the students, namely, the Christian Association and the Students' Alliance. The Chinese Students' Christian Association is organized on the same principle as the Y. M. C. A., with the exception that it has also girl students among its members. It is divided into four departments, according to geographical situation. 'Liu Mei Tsing Nien' is its official organ.

"The Chinese Students' Alliance has a larger membership, having 800 members enrolled in 1915. It is divided into three sections, each having its own initiative in all policies. Within the sections are organized local clubs in different colleges, which hold meetings at regular intervals, at which important topics pertaining to the Welfare of China are discussed.

"It is not the aim of China to send students to this country perpetually. When enough men and women have returned from America ready to take leadership in political, social, economic, and educational projects, far more colleges will be established in China and consequently less students will come to this country for a college education."