NO LAY-OFF FOR HOCKEY TEAM

UNIVERSITY SEVENS GIVEN TWO DAYS OF HARD PRACTICE ON SMALL RINK.

Twenty minutes of fast even rushing and accurate passing and shooting on the part of the offence, coupled with clever work by the defence paved the way for a lively hard-fought twenty minute scrimmage between teams A and B at the Arena on Monday afternoon, which resulted in a 3 to 3 score.

In order to conform to the size of the rink upon which the University seven will oppose Yale next Saturday, the rink was made smaller with low boards, as was done before the last Princeton game at New York. The decrease in surface added speed to the scrimmage, for Percy's characteristic rushes and the ability of both forward lines to recover and get under way were especially in evidence.

Thacher and Rice, team A's right and left wings, respectively, showed marked ability in their persistent co-operation with their centres, while Percy several times lifted high fast drives from the middle of the rink, and on one of these occasions, caged the puck on a pretty shot, the rubber bounding off Abbot's skate.

Team A scored two goals besides Percy's, Baker caging the rubber on a clever dribble following a long rush from the centre of the rink, while Thacher tallied on a low quick shot from a scrimmage just in front of Abbot's goal.

Team B, on the whole, gave the best exhibition of hockey it has shown to date, Baldwin, Fisher, and Taylor coming into particular prominence by their brilliant dashes and clever stick-work, each of them tallying once.

In a decidedly one-sided scrimmage yesterday afternoon, after the usual shooting practice and offensive and defensive work, team A outclassed team B in a half-hour scrimmage, fast co-operation of the former's forward line and distinctly superior shooting being responsible for a 3-0 score against team B. The latter's defence, consisting of Clark, Eckfeldt, and Gardner, did some excellent work, however, in repeatedly breaking up the sweeping rushes of team A's forwards.

Particularly noteworthy was Wylde's work at goal and Taylor's and Percy's shooting, the latter scoring one goal, while Baker and Rice each tallied once.

The teams lined up as follows:

TEAM A.  TEAM B.Rice, l.w.  r.w., TaylorBaker, l.c.  r.c., FisherPercy, r.c.  l.c., BaldwinThacher, r.w.  l.w., W. Morgan, LombardDoty, c.p.  c.p., Clark, GardnerJ. Morgan, p.  p., EckfeldtWylde, g.  g., Abbo