BERTRAND RUSSEL.

In the provisional pamphlet of the courses of instruction for the year 1916-17 is the announcement of two courses to be given by the Honorable Bertrand Russel of Cambridge University, England. Although this is not the first visit of the distinguished philosopher to Harvard, his coming none the less opens an unusual opportunity to students of philosophy, logic, social psychology, and ethics. Particularly striking will his vigorous and novel views be regarded here in that he is one of the distinguished leaders of the present Neo-realistic movement which is a reaction against the old extremes of naturalism and idealism. His most brilliant works, "Principia Mathematica" (1910) and "Problems of Philosophy" (1911) aroused a revolutionary enthusiasm among the Syounger and rising philosophers of the present generation. His visit will undoubtedly be a great factor in paving the way for a revival of Harvard's position as the mecca of philosophers as it had been when the so-called "Harvard Group" of philosophers--James, Palmer, Santayana, and Royce--was intact.