PROMINENT MEN AMONG ADDITIONS TO FACULTY

G. H. Chase '96 to Fill Chair of Newly Established Professorship of Archaeology.

Arthur Stanwood Pier '95, Joseph Lee '80, FitzRoy Carrington and George Parker Winship '93 are among the prominent men whose appointments as lecturers or instructors for 1916-17 have just been announced. Mr. Pier, who will be instructor in English, is the assistant editor of the Youth's Companion and the author of a dozen or more boys' books. He has also written the "Story of Harvard," a work which traces the growth of the University from its beginning to the present day. Joseph Lee, vice-president of the Massachusetts Civic League, and president of the Playground Association of America, will lecture on Education. Mr. Lee, who has served for many years on the Boston School Committee, has been instrumental in securing much social legislation, particularly laws promoting playgrounds. FitzRoy Carrington, who will lecture on the History of Engraving, is the editor of the Print Collector's Quarterly and of many books, chiefly on poetry and engraving. He is at present Curator of the Department of Prints in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Mr. Winship, who will deliver lectures on the History of Printing, is librarian of the Harry Elkins Widener collection. He is the author of seven books on printing and the editor of a dozen more.

It was voted to establish the John E. Hudson Professorship of Archaeology and George Henry Chase '96, at present Curator of Classical Antiquities anad Assistant Professor of Classical Archaeology, was appointed John E. Hudson Professor of Archaeology.

Resignations and appointments.

At the last meeting of the Overseers of the University, the resignations of Sidney Powers, Research Fellow in Geology, and Alfred Clarence Redfield 3G., Austin Teaching Fellow in Zoology, were accepted. The following appointments were made: As Assistants--in English, Robert Wheaton Coues '95, Thurman Los Hood '08; in Fine Arts, Meyric Reynold Rogers 1S.A., Herbert Frank Schuchmann 2G.; in Semitic William Thomson 1G.; in Printing, Walter Moreland Stone '08; in Chemistry, Frederick Saylord Bacon 1G., Carl Henry Classmen '16, Lawrence Turner Fairhall 3G., Alexander Donald Macdonaid 1G., Sidney Stevens Negus 1G.; to the Director of the Gibbs Laboratory, Emmett Kirkendall Carver 2G.; to the Director of the Chemical Laboratory, Willis Arnold Boughton '17; as Austin Teaching Fellows--in Fine Arts, Millard Burr Gulick 3S.A.; in Chemistry, Ralph Hunter Bailey 1G., Orin Renwick Douthett, Herbert Frederick Engelbrecht 2G., James Hallett Hodges 2G., Bruce Robinson Silver 1G., Lee Irvin Smith 1G., Walter Elwood Vail 1G., Osman James Walker 1G.; as Instructors--in English, Paul Franklin Baum '12, Arthur Stanwood Pier '95, Arthur Parker Stone '93; in Fine Arts, Martin Mower; in Mathematics, Richard Potts Johnson 2G.; in Semitic, Harry Austryn Wolfson; in Chemistry, Alfred Theodore Larson 4G.; in Public Utilities Operation (Business School), Eliot Grinnell Mears '10; in Factory Management (Business School), Henry Hallowell Farquhar 2G.B.; as Tutors--in the Division of History, Government, and Economics, Colin Brummitt Goodykoontz 1G., Caleb Perry Patterson 1G.; as Lecturers--on Education, Joseph Lee '83; on the History of Engraving, FitzRoy Carrington; on Fine Arts, Edward Waldo Forbes '95; on the History of Printing, George Parker Winship '93; on Fire Insurance (Business School), William Bliss Mendlicott; on Life Insurance (Business School), Herman Beeman Dow '79; on Investments (Business School), John Farwell Moors '83; on the Theory and Practice of Rate Making (Business School), Edgar Judson Rich '87; on Business Policy (Business School), Arch Wilkinson Shaw; on Factory Management (Business School), Frederic Gallup Coburn; on Printing and Publishing (Business School), Charles Chester Lane '04; on Lumbering, John Matthew Gries; as Superintendent of the Reading Room of the Graduate School of Business Administration, Walter Moreland Stone '08; as Secretary of the Graduate School of Business Administration, Eliot Grinnell Mears '10.

On recommendation of the Committee on the Frederick Sheldon Fund, the following Graduate Sheldon Fellowships for the year 1916-17 were awarded: in Lumbering, Howard Clyde Baldwin 2G.B.; in Mathematics. Raymond Woodward Brink 3G., Joseph Leonard Walsh '16; in Zology, William John Crozier 4G.; in Philosophy, Tenney Lombard Davis 3G., Victor Frizt Lenzen 3G.; in Geology, Donald Hamilton McLaughlin 2G.; in Comparative Literature, Amos Phillips McMahon 3G.; in the New Testament. Norman Burdett Nash 2Dv.; in the Classies, John Joseph Savage 4G.; in Romance Languages, Albert Abraham Shapiro 3G.; in Chemistry, Louis Plack Hammett '16.

The following appointments were also made: John Sanford Humphreys, Associate Professor of Architectural Design: Roland Burrage Dixon '97. Professor of Anthropology; Charles Howard Mcllwain '03. Professor of History and Government: Zechariah Chaffee. Jr., '13, Assistant Professor of Law; Abuer Frost M.D. '70. Professor of Syphilis, Emeritus; Albert Martin Kales '96. Professor of Law; Simeon Burt Wolbach, M.D. '03, Associate Professor of Pathelogy and Bacteriology.

It was voted to appoint the following Preachers to the University for 1916-17. Edward Caldwell Moore, D.D. Ph.D., George Alexander Johnston Ross. D.D. Elwood Worcester D.D., Ph.D., Paul Revere Frothingham '86 D.D., Albert Parker Fitch '00 D.D., Harry Enerson Fosdick D.D