THIRD MEDICAL UNIT EMBARKS

PARTY OF FIFTY-THREE SAILS TO RELIEVE SECOND GROUP OF SURGEONS.

Fifty-three men and women, comprising the third Medical Unit sent by the University to the French front, will leave the South Station at 8.20 o'clock this morning for New York. Arrived at the metropolis, the party will transfer baggage and equipment to the "Andania," of the Cunard line, and will sail for Liverpool at 5 o'clock this afternoon.

The unit, which is led by Dr. Hugh Cabot '94, is composed of 33 nurses and 20 surgeons, including two dentists. This group will continue the work of the second unit, which was sent to Europe last November at the request of Sir William Osler, of Oxford, England, and which will complete a six months' tour of duty at a British Base Hospital near Boulogne on the French coast on June 9. On that date the new unit will arrive and take charge. It is expected that the hospital will have a capacity of 1400 beds.

Like all regular British hospitals, since it is to be organized as a base hospital in the British regular service, the unit will be under the general supervision of Director-General Sir Alfred Keough, whose office corresponds to that of surgeon-general in the United States Army. Dr. Cabot, as chief surgeon, will be ranked as a lieutenant-colonel, and the other surgeons will receive ranks as majors, captains, and lieutenants, according to the duties which they are to perform.

Regular commissions will not be given, however, in order that men need not give up their American citizenship, as would be necessary to receive a commission under the Crown; but relative rank will be given in accordance with the plan pursued in such cases by the British war office.