HORTON P. B. K. BUREAU CHAIRMAN

Average of Thirty Men a Week Have Received Scholastic Aid.

Walter Marshall Horton '17, of Arlington, has been elected chairman of the Scholarship Service Bureau conducted by the Phi Beta Kappa Society. He succeeds Kenneth Ballard Murdock '16.

So far this year the Bureau has been advising, on an average, about thirty men a week. Of these, many have come for help in smaller matters, and have availed themselves of the aid of the Bureau for a short time, while others have received aid for extended periods. In only five or six cases did the work of men being advised fail to improve. In the majority of cases, the work improved noticeably in the matter of grades, the ratio of men on probation who got off after being assisted being greater than that of other men.

The Bureau has had the constant cooperation of the Office. Dean Hurlbut and Dean Yeomans have sent a large number of men to be helped, and have expressed their appreciation of the results. They are both of the opinion that the students aided receive more benefit than is indicated by the rise in their marks.

The office hours of the Bureau are at Weld 47, Wednesdays and Fridays, between 2 and 3 o'clock, when any students who desire help without direct tutoring should call. They will then be assigned to undergraduate advisers of high scholastic standing, who will show them how to study and take notes in the best way, and who, by studying with them will point out the easiest and most efficient methods of work.