A Tribute from President Lowell.

Communication

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Perhaps one of the finest tributes that could be paid to Harvard men was that spoken on last Saturday evening by President Lowell. It was at the meeting of the Harvard Club of Boston to interest University men in the proposed Naval Training Cruise of this summer. The way to get undergraduates interested in the cruise, the President said, is not to tell them the easy life that they will have for the four weeks; but rather to tell them the difficulties that they will encounter, and the great gains that they will obtain from such a trip. Such a remark, coming from the President, and spoken to what might be called the family circle of Harvard men, where flattery is out of place, bears all the indications of being from the heart of the speaker. We Harvard men should feel proud to no small degree that such an opinion is held of us by our President.

It is in the belief that such a spirit is the true Harvard one that the Naval Cruise is being urged. This cruise is open to all college men throughout the country, as well as to trained non-collegians. But to Harvard men especially it should make its appeal, for Harvard stands pre-eminent as the college from which come men with the desire for public service. We have occasion to feel proud of the splendid response that has been made to the Plattsburg idea. The Regiment and the Flying Corps are examples of the way in which Harvard shows its interest in the defense of the country. From the spirit that the University has shown in the past is it too much to forecast the future, and to predict that Harvard will respond no less generously to the appeal for naval training volunteers?

President Lowell's words are true. The deep and real spirit of the University is one of willingness to face difficulties, and to forget the individual in striving for the nation. The Naval Cruise is one of the finest chances that could be devised for young men of education preparing themselves for national defence. We know the tremendous need of the navy for trained officers and reserves. The opportunity is open to Harvard men of showing the spirit that they have shown in the past, and of perpetuating the name of Harvard enthusiasm, to take the place of a mythical Harvard indifference. Two hundred and fifty men have responded to the call for Plattsburg. Is it too much to hope for that number, or double that number, for the Naval Training Cruise? J. T. ROGERS '18.