BALL TEAM PLAYS PENN. TODAY

UNIVERSITY'S OPPONENTS HAVE ONLY TWO VETERANS IN CONTEST.

The University nine is scheduled to play the Pennsylvania baseball team at Franklin Field, Philadelphia, this afternoon at 3.30 o'clock. The squad of 16 players left Boston yesterday afternoon, spent last night in New York, and early this morning will go to Philadelphia. With him on the trip, Coach Mitchell took his three first-string pitchers, Garritt, Mahan, and Whitney. It is uncertain which of the trio he will start against the Pennsylvanians, but Mahan is the most probable choice.

The team which Coach Mitchell's players will meet at Franklin Field is not distinctly a nine of the first ranking, although it is, on the other hand, superior to the majority of teams with which the University has played early-season contests. It has, thus far in its schedule, split honors with Yale, and tied with the strong and fast Columbia team. But it has suffered defeat at the hands of the Annapolis Midshipmen whom the University beat, and at the hands of Villanova, a team which lost to Princeton in the latter college's first game of the season.

There are only two veterans in the line-up: Moore, formerly a shortstop, now at third base; and Spielman, a pitcher. Smith, first base, and Gilmore, catcher, played last year on the Freshman nine. Howard Berry, Pennsylvania's centrefielder, is a brilliant athlete, despite the fact that this is his first appearance on the diamond. Berry is famous as winner of every event in the recent Pentathlon competition held at the Penn. Relay Carnival, and as a football star.