SPAETH CRITICIZES NICKALLS

Princeton Coach Takes Leader of Yale Oarsmen to Task.

Not satisfied with leading Yale's first eight in the recent race on Lake Cayuga, Princeton's rowing coach takes to task Guy Nickalls, the Yale navy head, for his utterances after the race, in an article in the current issue of the Princeton Alumni Weekly. Dr. Spaeth, the dictator of Princeton's crews, says:

"Mr. Nickalls severely reprimands the Yale crew for failing to respond to their stroke, tells them that 'a coach cannot always be performing miracles,' and then accepts 'full responsibility for the disaster.' This is forgetting Mr. Courtney's share in the disaster, for it was his crew that made us row away from Yale so fast. A duel race with Yale would no doubt have decreased the size of the disaster for Yale and increased the fun for us.

Princeton Crew Not "First-Class".

"Mr. Nickalls goes out of his way to say 'neither Princeton nor Cornell had a first-class crew.' That settles it, of course. I never said we had a 'first-class fast crew,' and I wouldn't have considered it delicate to say it doesn't take a 'first-class crew' to beat Yale five lengths, but since Mr. Nickalls says it himself, let it go at that. Mr. Nickalls says 'Yale finished nearly three lengths in the rear.' Making the best of the naval disaster is one thing, but altering the facts in order to do so is not considered good from in America. The official times were: Cornell, 11.21 1-5; Princeton, 11.23 1-5; Yale, 11.43 1-5. Slow as the Yale crew was, it couldn't possibly take twenty seconds to row 'nearly three lengths,' even with thole pins, for at this rate it would have taken them ten minutes to row a mile."