Foreign Policy Camp Planned.

Major-General Wood, speaking at the Memorial Day exercises endorsed the old slogan, "My country, right or wrong." He said in substance: "Some people think this is not ethical, but it is at least national and that is enough, for in a democracy the majority's will must rule." It seems, however, that Professor R. B. Perry, another earnest advocate of universal military service, in the last number of The New Republic presents a view which Harvard men will more readily endorse. "Loyalty to one's country," he says, "unless one understands its policy and helps to mould it, is simply a renouncing of one's judgment."

But whether we put country above right or not, we all want our country to be right, particularly when it is a question of war. Even if one makes one's fatherland monarch of conscience and dictator of action, surely it must be revolting to go killing the enemy when you think he is right. Though all sensible people, as General Wood said, desire peaceful settlement of troubles, yet honest attempts have failed and may fail again. And therefore Plattsburg, the naval cruise, and Harvard's Preparedness Week (with its large bouquets of "easy conscience").

Most Americans that admire France above all nations in the present war, admire her because her people seem generally to have an intelligent understanding of why they are fighting. For University students who want to know the why of war there is a "camp" at Cleveland the last ten days of June. The object of this student conference is to find the "rational foreign policy for the United States." At last year's conference at Cornell Major Putnam, Hamilton Holt, Norman Angell, Hudson Maxim, Andrew D. White, and others presented very divergent views. The camp this year will be addressed by speakers of equal ability, so that all men who are interested in the international career of the United States, who wish to "understand its foreign policy and help to mould it," would enjoy and profit by attending the meetings this year. The cost is small; the experience is stimulating; the time is such that this conference may conveniently be made a preliminary to the July camps at Plattsburg. Any of the dozen University undergraduate and graduate students who were at last year's conference will be glad to give information, and full details can be obtained from the Intercollegiate Federation of International Polity Clubs, 40 Mt. Vernon street, Boston. W. G. RICE, JR., 2L.