HURDLERS ARE CHOSEN FOR AMERICAN ATHLETIC TEAM

Simpson and Murray to Sail for Europe September 28 with Meredith and Loomis as Mates.

The four athletes selected to represent the United States in the track and field games at Stockholm, Copenhagen and Chistiania in October should hold their own among the best all-round competitors in the world. The team includes Simpson of the University of Missouri, Murray of San Francisco, Mededith of Philadelphia and J. G. Loomis of Chicago. Both Simpson and Murray, the late two additions to the team, are holders of world's records. The athletes will leave for Europe September 28, and are expected to return November 18. The meetings arranged are as follows:

Octo. 12-Chistiania, Norway.

Oct. 14-Copenhagen, Denmark.

Oct. 21-Stockholm, Sweden.

It was originally intended to send a distance runner as the third member of the team, but the only man eligible for this place was Ray of Chicago, and it was impossible for him to make the trip.

It is believed that Simpson will find no hurdlers in the Scandinavian countries fast enough to compel him to extend himself, consequently Murray will go along to give the Missourian competition in the high hurdles, with Loomis to extend the Scandinavians in low hurdles.

Both Simpson and Murray are good all round men. Simpson has broad jumped over 23 feet several times this year and has also equalled the world's record in the low hurdles. In addition to being a great hurdler, Murray is a crack sprinter and shot-putter, and has also scored points for his college in the high and broad jumps.

Loomis will be able to take care of the high jump, and should also score points in the running broad jump and low hurdles. Murray, who has done 21 3-5 seconds for the 220-yard dash, should be able to win that event and the 220-yard low hurdles, and should also score points in the shot and broad jump. Simpson will win the 120-yard hurdles and running broad jump and ought to score points in the 220-yard low hurdles and sprints. Meredith will take care of the quarter and half-mile run, and the four together will make an almost unbeatable combination in a half-mile relay, each running 220 yards.

He does not intend to return to this country immediately, but will, after the conclusion of the games in Stockholm, represent an American firm in England. Meredith has suffered lately from boils, but expects to be in condition when the time for the games arrives.