CATES, FORMER ANNAPOLIS COACH, ADDED TO JONES' STAFF TO HELP IN WORK WITH ENDS

Massachusetts Aggies, Opponents In Stadium on October 21, Engaged In First Scrimmage of Year--Technology Has 1936 Students, New Record. Two New Schools at Columbia.

As a further result of Head Coach Jones' policy of securing as his lieutenant Yale's most distinguished gridiron strategists, comes the announcement that Jack Cates, formerly coach at Annapolis; will become a regular member of the coaching staff. He has not coached for two years on account of business, but will devote his spare time to helping mould the Eli eleven. In addition to Cates, Clarence Alcott and Douglas Bomeisler are also helping with the ends, and it is expected that John Kilpatrick, a former star at the extremity of the line will put in a lot of work with the squad this fall.

Of the situation at the end positions, the Transcript says:

"While the material for the Yale end rush places is abundant, no stars are in sight. Rosener, the most brilliant performer of the end rush squad, has not been in condition for a fortnight. Frank Lynch, the former Exeter and Yale freshman end, reported for practice this fall with a thumb badly bruised in an automobile accident, while Art Gates, regular end last fall, has not been able to line up for a week. Comerford, freshman captain last year, and Moseley, varsity substitute, are in the lead for the competition, with Nichols, of the third eleven last year, and "Buck" Church as promising reserve material. Even if Jim Braden does not return to college, three unusually brilliant end rushes will be available for the final games in Rosener, Gates and Comerford. Church and Lynch are very fast, and both are possibilities for the tackle positions, which lack material.

Aggies Start Practice.

The Massachusetts Agricultural College football team, which plays the University on October 21 held its first scrimmages yesterday when Coach Melican lined up teams "A" and "B" for a hard three-quarter-hour session. Team "A" with Captain Grayson at quarter and Weeks, Pond and Boles in the backfield, were able to put across two touchdowns over team "B." Day of Hatfield, who has played a star game at end for the past two years, has not yet arrived at Amherst, but is expected in a day or two. MacNaught, one of last year's subs, filled the centre position for team "A" yesterday afternoon, while the guards were taken care of by C. D. Blanchard of last year's freshman team, and Nash, a new man. Hagelstein and Richardson, ends, completed the line.

After scrimmage was over, Assistant Coach Palmer, star drop-kicker of last year's eleven, spent a long time with the kicking candidates. Among the most promising is Walter Mack 1919, who is showing up well in practice.

Columbia's Enrolment a Record.

Columbia University opened yesterday with an enrolment, which from preliminary indications, will mount well over last year's total of 16,000.

The business and dental schools open this year for the first time. Professor Egbert, the director of the School of Business is quoted as saying that many business men from downtown are showing keen interest in the business courses which are being offered at the university through the extension teaching department.

Owing to the strict entrance requirements to the new dental school, the registration in that department will not be heavy for the first year or two. Dr. Henry S. Dunning, chairman of the dental committee which has undertaken to raise the funds for the dental school, said last night that several students had registered and more are expected.

Tech Still Cosmopolitan.

Registration figures at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology show the usual increase in number of students and at the same time wide distribution into all corners of the globe, with a notable increase in Japanese and South Americans. The official figures for total registration to date are 1935, 85 more than at this time last year and an increase of five over the figure of the year before. There is further interest in the number of foreign students and the matters that bring them to the Institute for their work. There is no college or university in the country which is the equal of Tech in point of proportion of foreign students. The record at the moment is 103 foreigners representing 27 countries. This number is always increased later during the first term when special students make their appearance. Europe sends seven students from five countries, Albania, Italy, Hungary, Norway, and Russia, the last-named having two each. The Orient, in which Turkey and Egypt are included by speech if not by geographical lines, is represented by 51 students, China having the lion's share of 35. Japan, Korea, India, are the far-Eastern countries and Turkey, Syria and Egypt the nearer ones. There are some eight Armenians in the school but they are already homed in this country and hail from some one of the larger cities and are counted in with Americans.

China has fallen off a little for the moment, while Japan sends a larger number than at any time before. Ten years ago there were a number of Japanese studying naval architecture, but today the lines of their studies are in mining and metallurgy and mechanical engineering. The students are of the highest class, educationally speaking, most of them being already professional men in specialties in the colleges or in government work.

The real advance in foreign students at the Institute comes from South American countries and here there has been quite a bit of missionary educational work done by Tech, which has its special circular in Spanish and its representatives on the popular South American tours. Chile, which has its own excellent systems of education caring for the student from the kindergarten to the degree, sends eight young men, a number of them from the national naval academy, with three from Colombia and two from Equador. Fourteen is the tally from South America and twenty others come from the Central American countries. Mexico leading with eight, Cuba having seven and Honduras, Salvador, Nicaragua and Costa Rica dividing the remainder.