BARRETT WENDELL '77 RESIGNS PROFESSORSHIP

WELLS PRIZE TO HARING

The resignation of Barrett Wendell '77 as Professor of English was received and accepted at a meeting of the President and Fellows last Monday. In accordance with a vote of the Board of Overseers Professor Wendell was appointed Professor of English, emeritus. His resignation will take effect in September.

Professor Wendell has taught at the University almost continuously since 1880, being Instructor in English from 1880 to 1888, Assistant Professor for the ten-year period beginning in 1988, and Professor since 1898. During 1904 and 1905 he lectured at the Sorbonne and other French universities. He is a member of the National Institute of Arts and Letters, a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and a member of the Massachusetts Historical Society. Last fall he was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Letters.

President Lowell reported at this meeting that Raoul Blanchard, Professor of Geography at the University of Grenoble, has been appointed and accepted as exchange professor from France for the second half of this academic year. Professor Raoul will give one course in geography and another as yet undesignated.

Notice was received announcing the award of the David A. Wells Prize for 1916-17 to C. H. Haring '07, of New York City, for an essay on "Trade and Navigation between Spain and the Indies." This prize, which consists of an annual award of $500, is awarded through the Department of Economics for the best thesis embodying the results of original investigation in the field of economics.