"CHINA ANOTHER COCK-PIT"

G. L. Harding '10 Told Intercollegiate Socialist Society Future Crisis Lay in Far East.

Granting freedom to the Philippines, helping China stand on her own economic legs and an honorable solution of the immigration question, were cited as three steps the United States must soon take to avoid a clash with Japan, by Gardner L. Harding '10, at a largely-attended meeting of the Intercollegiate Socialist Society at the Hotel Westminster Saturday evening. The subject of his address was "Must We Fight Japan?" He said:

"In China another economic world cockpit is very distinctly beginning to appear. This vast, unmilitary nation, emerging into the adolescence of modern government, is the vastest storehouse of virgin economic energy still remaining on the globe's face. Her coal and iron are sufficient to last the world for 1,000 years at the present rate of consumption.

"China is drifting steadily toward the wretched and tragic goal of final destruction; but, like Turkey, she will take her revenge by being the fulcrum of an international rivalry as bitter as the stakes are large. America can arrest this deadly drift by encouragement of the Chinese toward the rehabilitation of their country. Trouble with China will surely lead to a fight with Japan."