A PATRIOTIC VOTE.

Again the University as a whole is called upon to express its opinion in regard to a great national question. The verdict of the University will not determine the nation's course, but it will have far more influence on the question of universal military training than it had in determining who should be nominated in Chicago or elected in November. Since the Senate Committee will understand the result as expressing the sentiment of the entire University, each man should exercise due care in casting his ballot.

The question is not whether Harvard approves of the Chamberlain Bill, but whether she will go on record as standing for the principle of universal training, and as believing in the individual's responsibility to the state. It is our hope that the opinion of Harvard will be over-whelmingly for a scheme of adequate defense. At present the military authorities at Washington are in an apparent, hopeless muddle concerning the solution of the military situation. A changing body of army officials and political leaders are trying in vain to work out an adequate scheme of defense. Every intelligent opinion from any group of citizens cannot help but aid them in their great task.

Today's vote ought to be a sober, thoughtful expression of Harvard's sentiment, and one that will ring true to the highest ideals of national patriotism.