A DEFINITE OPINION

Yesterday's vote resulted in a majority for universal training surprisingly large. It is doubtful if even the closest follower of opinion in the University could have forecast the result. Three quarters of all the men voting expressed their wish for a universal scheme of preparedness. Harvard's stand has been strongly taken. On perhaps no other question of so controversial a nature could an overwhelming vote be obtained.

The vote is not an expression of mob prejudice, nor of blind militarism. It is the earnest opinion of a thousand men who believe they see the necessities which their nations must face. It is our earnest belief that those who showed themselves opposed would, when put to the test, do their share towards preserving the prestige of their country, no less than more "militaristic" thinkers.

Those men who have declared both formally and informally that Harvard is against universal training, are now shown to have spoken with no cause. The views of a University may not be circumscribed by the desires of any partisan of peace, however lofty his ideals of altruistic his hopes.

The University's representatives before the Senate Committee at Washington have received the full approbation of those whom they represent.

There can be no question but that Harvard men will fulfill in practice what they have approved in theory. With young men willing to undergo sacrifice for their country, here and in other universities, and among non-University men, the future of our nation cannot be but full of promise.