UNIVERSITY'S DELEGATES TESTIFIED FOR TRAINING

VOTE PLACED ON RECORD

WASHINGTON, D. C., Jan. 25, 1917.--The University delegates, G. B. Blaine '17, and C. A. Coolidge, Jr., 17, testified before Senator Chamberlain's sub-committee on military affairs here this morning on the attitude of the University towards universal military training. Blaine sketched the history of the Harvard Regiment and reported the result of yesterday's straw ballot. He said that from his experience at Plattsburg he was convinced that universal military training was the only logical policy and concluded his testimony with the statement that the sentiment of the University seemed to be that "the responsibilities of life are more important than life itself."

Coolidge maintained that the opinions of the colleges had not been fairly represented by the so-called "pacifist delegates," and that the vote taken at the University in favor of universal training was the result of "individual feeling and common sense." "The way to end war," he said, "is not for the wealthiest and worst organized country in the world to lay itself open to attack." Coolidge also stated that he considered it far more advisable to provide for a training term of two months in four years instead of six months in one year. In that case the stores and business concerns could allow for summer absences and reserve places for their employees. The officers reserve corps could be drawn upon to command the troops and thus relieve those of the regular army.

The evidence presented by the University and Yale delegations has apparently gone far to offset the testimony of the college pracifists. Yale's representatives testified yesterday and those from Princeton and the University of Pennsylvania had a hearing this afternoon.

After delivering their testimony. Blaine and Coolidge accompanied the Massachusetts delegation of the National Security League, which had an audience with President Wilson this afternoon. At this audience the delegation presented the resulotuion passed at the mass meeting in Fanuell Hall urging the President's support for the bill providing for adequate defense. Mr. Wilson stated that both the resolution and the whole question of universal training would receive his "most careful and studied attention."