XMAS CELEBRATIONS ENJOYED

HOSPITALITY EXTENDED TO THOSE WHO REMAINED HERE IN VACATION.

Many of those who remained in Cambridge during the vacation availed themselves of the hospitality of President and Mrs. Lowell and of Phillips Brooks House. The gatherings were held at President Lowell's home on Christmas eve, and at Phillips Brooks House on Christmas night.

President and Mrs. Lowell's reception was attended by about 150 men. The reception room was appropriately decorated for the occasion. A Christmas tree was laden with baskets and cornucopias of candy which were distributed among the guests. President Lowell's reading from the Bible of the story of the birth of Christ was followed by several interesting readings by Professor Copeland and Professor Henry Morse Stevens, of the University of California. Frank Hancock '12 sang several selections and later in the evening all those present joined in singing some carols. A supper was served near the close of the evening.

About 100 students were present at the annual "open house" at Phillips Brooks House on Christmas evening. The company gathered before the open fire in the parlor to enjoy one of the most entertaining programs ever given at these gatherings. After Professor George Herbert Palmer '64 read the story of Christ's birth from the Scriptures and the "Hymn" from Milton's "Ode on Nativity"; Miss Margaretta Josephene Penick, of the Emerson College of Oratory, rendered her interesting program entitled, "An Evening of Dialect." E. E. Dale 2G entertained the guests with a sketch of cowboy life, and C. W. Chenoweth '13G read several selections. Vocal music was rendered by a quartet composed of A. A. Rouner '20, M. A. Shattuck '19, W. H. Gardner '18 and H. A. Roberts '20, and by M. C. Rogers 2L, who sang several Southern melodies. J. E. Bagley Sp. played on the piano and group singing was joined in by all present. There was a supply of refreshments for everyone.