YALE BEAT ST. NICHOLAS TEAM

Queen's University Caused Surprise in Its Defeat by Crescent A. C.

Only two of the University's future hockey opponents played games during the past vacation, and of these Yale won its contest while Queen's University lost. Both games were played at the St. Nicholas Rink.

Yale defeated the St. Nicholas Hockey Club by scoring three goals in the second period after the New York team had led throughout the first, the final score being 4 to 2. Although the victory was a creditable one to the collegians, it was scored against a St. Nicholas team minus the services of "Hobey" Baker and in a very much weakened condition. Nevertheless the change in the spirit of the team in the second half of the game showed that a strong and confident seven is being developed at New Haven. Armour and Kelly were the stars of the forward line, each scoring two goals, and Captain Murray's work at coverpoint helped materially to prevent St. Nicholas from scoring in the second half.

The surprise of the week was the defeat of Queen's University, of Kingston, Ont., by the Crescent Athletic Club, of Brooklyn, N. Y., by the one-sided score of 5 to 1. This is only the second time the Canadian college has been defeated by an organization in the United States in over five years. The Brooklyn seven had the advantage throughout the game with speed, team work and good playing off the boards and Queen's was fortunate to score their lone goal 43 seconds before the end of the final half of the game. The game was featured by the rough playing of both teams and the penalties were frequent.

The Canadians skated well and carried the puck down the ice again and again, only to be stopped by the strong Crescent defence. Mitchell, at goal for the Brooklyn seven, made some excellent stops of the hard shots by the Canadian players.