Helping Mexico to College.

COMMENT

The response of American colleges to the proposal that they make it easy for Mexican youths to come here to study has been prompt and generous, more than a hundred institutions having made definite offers of assistance in the form of remission of tuition fees or of scholarships covering the expense of both board and tuition. The other part of the project, for a visit of fifty Mexican educators to this country, has met with less success so far, although it may be regarded as the more important half of the plan. The objection has been made that such a visit is not expedient at this time, because of the strained relations between the two countries. This has a fantastic sound. Relations are not what they should be, but to call them strained in the sense of militating against such a visit as that proposed is to exaggerate what is abnormal in them. A preliminary looking over of the ground by men who know the qualifications of Mexican students would seem highly desirable. To arrange for a year of study which proved ill-adapted to the needs of those who came might do more, harm than good. Some of our educational foundations or an individual has the opportunity of rendering an international service by making the suggested visit of Mexican educators possible. The matter is in the hands of Stanley R. Yarnall, of the Friends School, Germantown, Philadelphia. --New York Evening Post.