Howard Burchard Lines, LL.B., '15.

Obituaries

Word has just been received that Howard Burchard Lines, LL.B., '15, of Paris, a driver in the American Ambulance Field Service, died of acute pneumonia in the Argonne district. He contracted the disease during service at the front. His father, Dr. E. S. Lines, lives in Paris.

Lines, who lived in Paris for many years, was one of the first of the college volunteers to enlist with the American Ambulance, going abroad when a member of the third-year class in the Law School. After serving the greater part of a year, during which he continued his studies as best he could, he returned and graduated with his class in June, 1915. Immediately he returned to France and resumed his duties at the front. During his work with the Ambulance, Lines had many narrow escapes from death and twice underwent operations for injuries contracted from heavy lifting work. Only a few days before his last illness he sent a Christmas greeting to a college friend asking him to collect a fund which would make possible the establishment of a Dartmouth bed for the college ward of the American Ambulance.

Lines was a graduate of Dartmouth College, receiving his A.B. degree with the class of 1912. He prepared for college at the Anglo-Saxon School of Paris, and during his boyhood spent a great deal of his time in France.