PEACE LEAGUE WILL AVERT WAR

President Lowell at Chicago Banquet Urged Plan's Adoption.

"Wars in the future are likely to become more rather than less barbarous, and mankind must either lose its civilization in the blast of war or contrive some means of stopping it," President Lowell remarked at a dinner at the Congress Hotel, Chicago, Ill., Saturday evening, held by a committee of 70 for the stablishment of a state organization of the League to Enforce Peace. The object of the dinner was "to consider a program for a permanent league of nations to become effective at the end of the present war." President Lowell will return to Cambridge today.

"There would appear to be only two means of stopping war, either a league of the nations of the earth for that purpose or the domination of the whole world by one government. The latter does not come within American philosophy, for we would not be that nation if we could, and if we did, we should lose in the process all in the way of politics principles that we have stood for, and we certainly cannot contemplate a domination of the world by any other nation.

"Of all the plans proposed for common action among nations to prevent war the only one which seems to have a chance of success is that of the League to Enforce Peace, because it proposes the use of force. The experience of the work has shown that when any authority is set up backed by force men cease to carry arms, but are ready, if necessary to support those to whom force is entrusted. The time has come when we must put force behind international law as we do behind every other kind of law that is obeyed."