POLICE BEGIN STUDY TODAY

Lecture on Work in Europe and America By R. B. Fosdick Will Inaugurate New Course.

Mayor Rockwood, of Cambridge, and lieutenants and captains of the Cambridge police force will attend the opening of the University course upon police instruction today, which will continue for ten days. Nine lectures will be delivered by two instructors, Raymond B. Fosdick and Cornelius F. Cahalane, both of the New York City Police School for Recruits. The lectures will not be given in any of the University lecture rooms as first planned, but in a hall on the second floor of the Central square police station, No. 2. Many of the talks will be illustrated.

Mayor Rockwood in commenting on the establishment of this course said: "No police officer is too old to learn new tricks and for that reason I am going to keep a record of those officers who attend and those who fail to appear at any of the lectures.

"It seems that all the officers should like to attend the addresses by the New York officers, and although the course is not compulsory in any way I will have to surmise that those officers who fail to show up are not much interested in their work."

Plan Inspired by New York School.

Mayor Rockwood drew the inspiration for the course when he paid a visit to Commissioner Woods in New York and was shown the training school for officers in that city. He there learned that at Berkeley, Cal., the university gave the police officers a course of instruction in psychology and criminology and upon arriving in Cambridge he suggested that the University institute such a course here.

The superior officers including captains, lieutenants and inspectors, will attend several special sessions devoted exclusively to their duties. The patrolmen will also be able to listen to addresses upon their detailed work. The officers are showing much interest, but more curiosity regarding the course.

Another new feature in policing will be started in the early part of February, when the acting chief will detail a sergeant to make the rounds of each school-house in the city, gather the children in the main hall and give an address, stating that the police are not enemies of the children but are working to aid them.

The lecture today will be given by Mr. Fosdick at 2 o'clock on "Police Work in Europe and America. The second lecture will be given at the same time tomorrow on "The Organization of a Police Department," by Mr. Fosdick, and both will be for captains and lieutenants.