SEVEN OPPOSES M. I. T.

GAME AT 8.15 O'CLOCK

Little is known of the Technology seven which will meet the University hockey team at the Arena this evening at 8.15 o'clock. Not only is it the first game for the M. I. T. team but it will be only the second time the squad has had practice on ice. The new rink on Technology Field was successfully flooded for the first time yesterday afternoon so that up till then all the practice had been on land.

On the other hand, the University has only once been defeated by M. I. T. and should have an easy time continuing this record tomorrow evening. The squad has been handicapped by poor ice surfaces in the Arena during the past week but in spite of this there has been a steady improvement in the style of play. Each individual has been learning to efface himself for the good of the team so that spectacular plays have been infrequent in the practices and the men are working more and more as a unit.

Yesterday's Practice Fast.

Yesterday's practice was the best the University has had since the vacation; the men worked together both on the offence and defence and played the fastest hockey they have shown this year. Team B made an excellent showing against the regulars and held them to three goals, but were unable to shoot the puck past J. I. Wylde '17. Long passes from wing to wing were frequently made and carried through and the forward line dashed down the rink again and again so that the play centred around the substitutes' defensive men.

T. H. Rice '17 scarcely missed receiving a pass the entire afternoon and although he failed to score a goal he was on hand to take advantage of every break. He carried the puck more than any of the other forwards and his work on the defence, body-blocking and skating across, was as good as his offensive stickwork. Each other member of the forward line tallied and each time it was after a brilliant rush down the ice.

For team B the stars were W. O. P. Morgan '18 and R. Baldwin '17. The former played an aggressive game throughout and the latter seems to have recovered from his slump in form of a few weeks ago. That the substitutes were unable to score is due to the strong defence of team A, for T. C. Thacher '18 and Captain Morgan broke up so many plays that few got by to Wylde in goal.

Second Squad Skated on River.

About 25 candidates for the second hockey team reported to Coach E. H. Ellison '17 and the squad was given its first practice on the river. Among the candidates were several members of the second team last year and some of the other men who have recently been cut from the University squad. The most promising candidates are D. Duncan '17, C. A. Clark '19, O. T. Wagner '18, R. R. Bishop '19, L. Jackson '19, C. W. Timpson '18, etc.

The second team hockey schedule announced yesterday contains eight games and one open date, but fails to provide for a game with the Yale second team.

The schedule follows:

Saturday, January 20: Stone at Stadium.

Wednesday, January 24: Milton at Milton.

Saturday, January 27: Exeter at Exeter.

Wednesday, January 31: Open.

Saturday, February 3: Middlesex at Concord.

Wednesday, February 7: Winchester at Stadium.

Monday, February 12: St. Mark's at Southboro.

Wednesday, February 14: Huntington at Stadium.

Saturday, February 17: St. Paul's at Concord, N. H.

Freshmen Show Improvement.

Great improvement has been shown in the Freshman hockey squad and the point has now been reached where some idea of the general ability of the team may be obtained. Although the squad has been handicapped by lack of ice and through lack of practice on a rink, the material shows that the seven men finally chosen will form a strong team.

The stars of the defence are F. C. Church, who captained the football team, J. Stubbs, R. H. Post and D. C. Hawkins. Captain Morgan, of the University team, supervised yesterday's practice and shifted Post from the forward line where he had formerly played to cover-point and his work in his new position showed that he is likely to remain there.

E. Cabot, R. W. Emmons, 3d, J. S. Higgins, and G. W. Walker, Jr., outplayed the other forwards of the squad. Although the backs are on the whole superior to the forwards, the latter will have a better chance to show their form when practice begins in the Stadium rinks.

Of the goal-guards the best is W. J. Louderback, none of the others coming up to him in steadiness and reliability