$1,422 GIVEN LIBRARY FUND

SEVERAL HUNDRED BOOKS ALSO DONATED BY UNIVERSITY LAST WEEK.

Through the College Library, Harvard has contributed $1,422.00 as well as four to five hundred books to the Camp Library Fund. At the beginning of the campaign, W. C. Lane '81, Librarian of the College Library, cooperating with Mr. Copithorne of the Public Library, sent out a circular to the officers of the University appealing for funds and books. No organized campaign was made among the students on account of the Phillips Brooks House collection and because it was only the first week of college. The contributions therefore, were almonst entirely from the officers of the University. Four $100 contributions were made. Most of the books were recent fiction but many volumes of more serious literature were contributed. A tag day campaign was held Saturday in the Square and at the Radio School.

In an interview with a CRIMSON reporter, yesterday, Mr. Lane expressed his gratitude to the officers of the University for their generosity and to the CRIMSON for its assistance in the collection.

The Boston district's quota of $50,000 was not subscribed last week, only $35,000 having been received by Saturday night. Although the formal campaign ended Saturday, Chairman W. F. Kenney of the Boston Library war council has announced that the work of collection would go on until the quota was reached.

It is the opinion of Mr. Lane that the members of the University could spare more books than have yet been contributed. Those who have studied French during past years, probably have their grammars or dictionaries which would be invaluable to the soldiers in France. Histories on the war would also satisfy a great want (among the less educated members of the new army).

French texts would also be acceptable. It is to be understood, however, that old, worn-out copies of valueless books are not desired. Good literature is needed, and must be in a readable condition. Old Military books would be of special value, and military histories or biographies would be eagerly read. Modern fiction, if in good condition is acceptable. Contributions of books or money may be left at Widener or any public library during the coming week.